I am a US expat who started in Dhahran just last month. While the plan was to stay at Aramco for about 4-6 years before repatriating to the states, I unexpectedly got offered a great job in the states that they would like me to start in about no later than two months or so. I do enjoy my job at Aramco and haven't made a final decision, but I just can see myself turning down this opportunity. Accordingly, I am trying to decipher what the parameters are around resignations in the kingdom. In the states the standard is 2 weeks notice, though I imagine it is different in the kingdom, particularly for a US expat who just arrived a month ago. I know that no matter what that they will not be happy with the fact that I will be leaving so soon after they invested in bringing me over, but that aside I still want to do everything by the book and under the best terms possible. So the questions I have are:
1) How much notice do I need to give and what are the appropriate channels to follow (i.e., advise your boss first and then HR, or vice versa)?
2) Based on what I am reading, I do not see any vesting provisions or repayment obligations for the expat settling in allowance or cash-in-lieu which I took for the move. Is that correct that I will not need to pay those amounts back?
3) Is there any advice as to how I can make this awkward situation be perceived less negative than it otherwise will?
In your contract and relo guide, it states you need to give 2 months notice or 1 month notice. Two months you get full end of term service benefits. One month you get less. I forget the exact difference. But you definitely want to do it right so you don't get blacklisted from coming back to kingdom at all.
Also, I would just throw this out here, you didn't make the decision lightly to come to KSA and it was quite a bit of work to get there. So unless you just really don't enjoy your job, stick it out and enjoy the good life with tons of paid vacation and holidays.
clover, thank you very much for the reply and insight. It's not so much a matter of not enjoying the job, as I do enjoy my position, but rather it's more so that what I got offered back in the states is almost too good to refuse. And given our intent was always to repatriate in about 5 years, I highly doubt such a good offer would be available for me then. Still haven't fully decided, but that is where I am leaning. Thanks again for your insights, much appreciated.
you need to check your contract carefully and read between line. I wonder if Aramco will take any action against your decision like asking for financial penalty (e.g. application, legalization, relocation costs....). Did you check this point?
gsh, I did not come across any document indicating repayment obligation. That was actually why I made this post, to see if I may have missed anything. I can't say with definitive certainty that I retained 100% of the all the documents, but I think I did and I simply do not see anything regarding I need to stay for x amount of years or I have to repay costs incurred for relocating me.
In 2015 I resigned Saudi Aramco after four months due to some family reasons. I gave one month notice. You have to get clearance from ~15 departments. There is no penalty. But I doubt Aramco will hire you again in future.