Hi, I'll be moving later this year to KSA on family stauts with my wife and 6 months old daughter and based on the current housing situation, it is likely that i will be offered a place in Dhahran Tower.
I would appreciate if people who are living in Dhahran tower can share views on the following two aspects which will help in making the right decision about accepting the offer:
1. Women can drive inside Aramco compounds to get grocery, take children to lesire activities or to hospital. How that can affect them in Dhahran Tower? I mean what means they will have if they need to go out for shopping on their own as i think there is no comissionary.
2. There is no hospital / emergency clinic in Dhahran Tower so what alternate arrangment is in place if there is a medical emergency?
1) aramco provides shopping buses, or you can get a taxi or private driver for hire if they are available. And just like in DHA, the husband will take their wives to a local grocery store in the evening or on the weekend.
2) Medical will probably be handled like it would in any U.S. city. If you have a medical emergency you would call our 911 number (110), an ambulance will come and take you to the hospital, just like they do in DHA. For doctor's appts and urgent care, you will drive, take a taxi, take an Aramco shuttle bus or take a private driver to go to appointments at the DHA medical and dental clinics.
2) As an alternative, you could choose an MDF (Medical Designated Facility) that is closer to your residence location. MDF's are "local hospitals and clinics that the Company has entered in agreement with to provide medical and dental care to employees and eligible dependents."
So in this case, for medical emergencies you would call the number provided by your MDF.
For routine appointments, you would still have to get transportation to that facility, but you could probably find one that is more conveniently located for you. Whether the quality of care in an MDF compares favourably to that found in the Aramco hospital, I couldn't say, although the JHAH information page states that all MDF's must adhere to certain standards, as laid down in their agreement with Saudi Aramco.
Ok, here is what I found out about medical for the DHA Tower. JHAH is working to have a contract with a camp near the tower that has an ER. They will get back to me when they have more confirmed information.
I will ask, but even the management doesn't seem to know how everything will work out right now. It is a work in progress and unlike Rakah that Aramco has completely leased. The Dhahran Tower has other non-Aramco executive residents and its own management and Aramco is working out all the details with them.
I haven't arrived in KSA yet and already have been subject of a third move, this time my relo advisor just informed me we will be assigned in Dhahran Tower, could you please provide me with info, including the emails mentioned previously so I can have an idea on how life will be for me and my family over there? We are just waiting for visa stamp, passports already sent to the embassy.