Saudi Aramco Vacation Days

This group is intended to be used by prospective future employees seeking information during the recruitment and relocation process.

Moderators: stmayo11, kswayne, vpainter

Forum rules
All posts must be in English.

Saudi Aramco Vacation Days

Postby traveler » Sat Oct 11, 2003 1:19 am

I have interviewed for a position at SA and was offered 42 vacation days (including 4 travel days) per year...very impressive! Someone told me that includes weekends, which I thought was very misleading. Who is right!? If the 42 days does include weekends, why not just say 5 weeks plus 4 travel days?
traveler
More than 2 posts
More than 2 posts

Postby cathylook » Mon Oct 13, 2003 2:07 am

You get 42 days more or less, depending.
I worked in RT Personnel for over 6 years and the vacation day question was a common one.
This is the way it works...
You get 3 days vacation for each month you work for a total of 36.
For your first year, if and only if you are on the payroll January 1, you get 2 \"floating\" holidays. These used to be Christmas and New Year's Day. You can now use them anytime during the year.
That brings the total to 38. (Please note. If you are on the payroll January 1, you will get 2 days. Otherwise, if it is only one floating holiday for your first year, even if your hire date is January 2 or December 31.)
You are given 4 days for travel to and from the US.
That is how the 42 days are calculated.
36 + 2 + 4
Now for the weekend question...
You will be given two \"earned days off\" for the weekend if you work even one day during the week you start your vacation (Sat - Wed). Those two days do not count against your vacation balance.
If there are any holidays during the period of your vacation, they do not count against your vacation balance either. Many Aramcons choose to take their vacation so that one of the two 5 day Eid holidays add to the vacation days for \"free.\" Any holidays that fall during vacations do not count against the vacation balance.
Once you commence your vacation, the days are calendar days. Straight counting from the last day of work, excluding any earned days off for the first weekend.
In summary, you have up to 38 L(eave) days per year and 4 T(ravel) days. Any earned weekend days off (EDO) or holidays that fall during your vacation do not count against the vacation balance.
You are not required to take all the days at one time.
Call your personnel office to get specific vacation balance information for your account. They will be able to give you the exact number of days you will have based on your hire date and they can advise when you would be eligibile to take your first vacation. Normally that vacation can be taken after one year service or if your anniversary date falls during that vacation period. Operational requirements of your department can overrule vacation policy though.
The opportunities for travel and the generous vacation policy make working for Saudi Aramco more fun. The hard part is deciding where to spend those days!
cathylook
More than 2 posts
More than 2 posts

Does one get an additional 2 calendar days per year?

Postby traveler » Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:45 am

Thank you!

Two more questions: Does one get 2 extra days per year worked in SA? And if so, is there a limit to how many additional days one can earn?

I really appreciate the help
traveler
More than 2 posts
More than 2 posts

Postby cathylook » Tue Oct 21, 2003 7:27 am

I am not quite sure what you are asking. Service time is calculated differently depending on whether you work in the US or Saudi Arabia. That is another matter completely.

As a US dollar payroll employee working a regular work schedule in Saudi Arabia, you will get 36 leave days + 2 floating holidays to use during the year. The 38 days are available for you to use effective January 1. You will not get more than that.

Employees can, and often do, elect to defer up to 15 leave days to the following year. Those are days carried over from one year to the next. They are not additional days earned.

Hope that helps.
cathylook
More than 2 posts
More than 2 posts

Return to Guest Book & General Discussion for Job Seekers