Rental Assistance

Are you a new Saudi Aramco employee (new hire - who has not arrived in KSA yet) seeking information on your new job? Want to know what it's like working for Saudi Aramco in Saudi Arabia? Employment/work-related questions/posts go here.

Moderators: stmayo11, kswayne, vpainter

Forum rules
All posts must be in English.

Rental Assistance

Postby theaa » Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:52 pm

Hi

Does anyone know what the rental assistance amount is? is it 3 months pay(basic or total) per annum.

Also any views on the compounds in Al Khobar eg Al bustan?
theaa
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Re: Rental Assistance

Postby waywood » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:33 pm

We looked into this as a possibility for the same reasons (we are going to RT and I have accepted the schooling issue although I would have preferred UK system plus I will not entertain a commute for a 5 year old to Dharhan). Rent for the compounds in Khobar is very expensive and your rental allowance (3 x base to a max of 120,000 riyals) will not cover it (you will need to pay pretty much the same again for a 3 - 4 bed villa). From a security issue, we feel much happier to be on an Aramco camp rather than in Khobar on a more western compound. We left Khobar in 2001, just when things got rather hairy and when we left they got hairier still (Oasis and the one in Riyadh spring to mind). The Khobar compounds (Al Bustan, Al Hada etc.) are well equipped and Bustan has the British School (BISAK) within its confines. Oasis has huge villas but is extremely expensive. The more popular compounds also are booked up well in advance and the waiting list may be a year or two. Of course, you can find cheaper compounds which won't look as pretty and the houses will be tatty, or private villas but you may feel rather remote in these. I have been very concerned about the switch in school systems (coming from UK one) but having read many of these threads and emailed a current parent, I have been placated and have calmed down.
Hope this helps.
waywood
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby theaa » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:02 pm

Hi Waywood

Are the Al bustan and Oasis the same?

Also what sort of rent can one expect to pay in these compounds

Have been in any of these compounds, if so what sort of facillities do they have

Finally, how does the BISAK school fair vs Uk schools &/or British Grammar school.

Many regards
theaa
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby waywood » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:54 pm

Theaa,

Al Bustan is part of Al Hada/Al Bustan complex located next to BISAK. Popular and 3 - 4 beds are around 240K riyals per year. Utility bills come on top of this. Oasis is 300K plus for 3 bed villas but they are huge. Again, utility bills are on top. Oasis has pools, hair salon, restaurants, gyms etc. Other compounds have the same. Have a look at : http://www.albustanvillage.com.sa and http://www.oasisresorts.net/about.htm for more information. It's been 9 years since I was last there so I can only assume that they have been well looked after. The Al Bustan compounds have a larger British contingent and there's a good sense of community. However, I would say that this applies to most of the western style compounds. If you are thinking of renting, also consider Canary - it's great and good for the children. See http://www.canaryvillage.com/. There are many good, cheaper compounds that are less popular but still have a good standard of living. However, it is easier to be on an Aramco camp and then go off camp into private rental than the reverse. As I said before, we were seriously considering a compound (my husband lived on both Canary and Oasis and we lived in Rabwah Village as a married couple) due to where we are being placed. However, we felt being on camp would give the children a good sense of the traditional UK village community that they are used to (although we are coming from the Isle of Man where everwhere is a village!) and the repuation of SA schools is excellent. Plus, the level of security on the Aramco camps was a huge plus. We knew we wouldn't get onto Dharhan so have decided to suck it and see. We have left options open should it not work on RT.

BISAK was a good school (I used to work there) - very friendly and caring and got some very good results as one would expect from a private school. It has changed head teacher and I believe sponsor since so I cannot comment on it currently. At the time I was there, year 6 SATS were well above UK averages with most year 6s achieving Level 5s and above in Maths and English with some level 7s (from a year group of 60 pupils).

Regards,
waywood
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby theaa » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:14 pm

Hi

Can you advise how far the Oasis and albustan compounds are from the Dhahran British School. Also, any idea which compound is closest to the shcool?
theaa
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby waywood » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:14 am

Hi,

They are pretty much equidistant from the Dharhan school, which will take about 20-30 mins commute we think depending on traffic.
waywood
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Return to New Hires and Jobs - Working for Saudi Aramco