House plan in Dhahran

Are you a new Saudi Aramco employee (new hire - who has not arrived in KSA yet) seeking information on your new job? Want to know what it's like working for Saudi Aramco in Saudi Arabia? Employment/work-related questions/posts go here.

Moderators: stmayo11, kswayne, vpainter

Forum rules
All posts must be in English.

House plan in Dhahran

Postby sunnyday » Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:24 am

We are getting ready to come and appreciate if someone can share a floor plan for a typical townhouse in Dhahran for GC 15. We are trying to decide what to take and what to leave from our US home.
1) Is king bed going to fit Dhahran townhouse OK?
2) Is IKEA furniture available at similar price to US?
3) Is it better to buy multi-system TV and DVD player in US or KSA?

Thanks!
sunnyday
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Re: House plan in Dhahran

Postby UmmRiyam » Sun Nov 01, 2009 8:06 am

I've never shopped in IKEA in the US, but you can see the prices on the IKEA Saudi Arabia website and then convert to USD to see how the prices compare. I personally think IKEA is pretty reasonable for most items compared to other shops here in Saudi Arabia.

http://www.ikea.com.sa/

Also, a King sized bed should fit just fine in your master bedroom, but you may not have a lot of extra space. We have a king size bed, long dresser, night stand, and baby crib in our room, but there's really no room left after that.

I'm not sure where it's better to buy a TV. We bought ours here. TVs can be quite heavy and take up a lot of space, so it could end up costing a lot to ship a TV here.
UmmRiyam
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby sunnyday » Mon Nov 02, 2009 5:28 am

Thanks for prompt replies! IKEA is great and we will be checking prices. I forgot to say that I will be on family status with one kid. It would be helpful to have some dimensions for the rooms to get a better idea.

As for TV's I really wondered is it worth buying a multi-system TV here in US and bringing it over or better to buy it in KSA. I assume Aramco will ship it with other things :D

Thanks!
sunnyday
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby stmayo11 » Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:14 pm

sunnyday,

The housing you get depends on your family size and gc. 1 child = 2BR, 2/3 children = 3BR. Some of it has to do with what is available when you arrive. Some newly arrived GC15s get non-executive housing because of availability. then, they can bid on executive housing after their 2 year initial assignment is up. They'll do their best to put you into exec. housing upon arrival, but again, it just depends on what they have available. There have been lots of expat arrivals over the last couple of years, and camps are filling up. RT and DH are both very full now, and AB is supposedly getting lots of new arrivals now due to the crowds at RT and DH.

To see floorplans, use the search feature in the upper right corner using the word 'housing' or 'floor plan'. there are lots of posts on here with pictures of the various floor plans. If you're curious about a certain topic, use the search feature, and chances are, it's been talked about before on here.
stmayo11

Postby TheDude » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:42 pm

I have shopped IKEAs in Dhahran and Newark, Dhahran is definitely cheaper. Don't bring the multi-system TV unless you are unable to sell it and its coming in as part of your paid shipping, otherwise you get better TVs here and much cheaper too. For someone like you with one 1 kid, you are likely to get a 2BR Townhouse, a US size king bed will fit in, but then you wont have much space for a couch etc.
TheDude
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby doonhamer » Tue Nov 03, 2009 2:06 pm

Contact your recruiter. They will get the floor plan for your house assignment from Saudi and that way you will know exactly how much space you have. They have different floor plans and the ones they post here might be completely different to what you actually get.
doonhamer
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby vpainter » Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:07 am

You will be unable to get your housing assignment early. The housing assignments are made just prior to you arriving and is subject to what is available when you arrive.

Here the floorplan of the housing usually given to a GC 15 with one child in DHA. Measurements are in cms.
Attachments
2TA3S - 2BR townhouse family no children or 1 child GC15+.jpg
(118.86 KiB) Downloaded 523 times
vpainter

Postby sunnyday » Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:45 am

Thanks! These looks like feet and inches to me :)
sunnyday
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby doonhamer » Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:45 am

Your house will be assigned as soon as your visa has been issued, which can be 1 month or more before you travel. Again contact your Recruiter and they can request from Saudi. Most times it will be available.
doonhamer
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby vpainter » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:12 pm

sunnyday, you're right, this one is in ft and inches. Many of them are in CM and I didn't pay any attention to it when I posted it. Sorry.
vpainter

Return to New Hires and Jobs - Working for Saudi Aramco