Housing for single women

Are you a new Saudi Aramco employee (new hire - who has not arrived in KSA yet) seeking information on your new job? Want to know what it's like working for Saudi Aramco in Saudi Arabia? Employment/work-related questions/posts go here.

Moderators: stmayo11, kswayne, vpainter

Forum rules
All posts must be in English.

Housing for single women

Postby bettboop » Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:13 am

Well, I finished orientation and the VISA physical and I'm busy packing the house. I am a single female and my grade code is I believe an 8 so can you tell me what kind of dwelling I am eligible for, apartment or one bedroom townhouse? I'm trying to decide what furniture to ship and what to store. I am to be located in Dhahran. I have a tentative departure date of 6 October 2009. Wish me luck!

By the way, has anyone used the magic jack? :shock:
bettboop
bettboop
More than 15 posts
More than 15 posts

Re: Housing for single women

Postby UmmRiyam » Tue Sep 15, 2009 1:46 pm

We borrowed a magic jack from a friend and tried it. It worked really well for us. The Aramco internet connection is pretty stable and the speed is decent (1.25 Mb). We had my mom ship us magic jacks along with other things, and when customs opened our box, they called us and made us ship the magic jacks back to the US. I guess they're 'illegal' here. I still think it's worth it to bring one in your luggage because the chances of them searching through all your luggage is not that great in my opinion. The worst that will happen is that they will take it from you. It's worth $40 to find out! We're planning to ask my mom to bring one for us when she comes to visit, so hopefully they won't check her luggage. :)

Sorry, I can't answer your questions about housing.
UmmRiyam
More than 25 posts
More than 25 posts

Postby vpainter » Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:47 pm

My Bachelor/Single housing list says for a GC 7, 8, and 9 - You would be assigned to a dorm (1SF1) or studio (1SH1) and be put on the bid list immediately instead of waiting 2 years. The bid list will allow you to try to get larger accommodations.

The original assignment homes are either 1SF1 (called the Holiday Inns) or 1SH1 (called studios on the 2nd and 3rd floors only).
There were only pictures of the outside of the buildings and no floorplan for these two on the website.

There were floor plans for the temporary housing if the two above aren't available: 4MG1L is temporary for 1SF1 and 8MH4L is temporary for 1SH1. These are temporary until one of the above come ready and is not related to the bid list.
Attachments
Aramco Temporary Bachelor housing 8MH4L (8 to a suite).jpg
8MH4L
(167.19 KiB) Downloaded 95 times
Aramco Temporary Bachelor housing 4MG1L 4 to a suite.jpg
4MG1L
(121.71 KiB) Downloaded 72 times
Aramco Bachelor housing 1SH1 Studios 2nd and 3rd floors only.gif
1SH1
(159.99 KiB) Downloaded 92 times
Aramco bachelor housing 1SF1 - Holiday Inn style.gif
1SF1
(163.64 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
vpainter

Postby bettboop » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:35 pm

Vpainter:

Does that mean that you share housing with a bunch of other people? Are these units furnished? How do you know how much furniture or household goods to send over if you are sharing space with others or don't know what size your housing is going to be? Are the window units the only air-conditioning for the unit? Where do I get this information from? If you don't want to share housing with other people, do you have the option of living off compound?

bettboop :cry:
bettboop
More than 15 posts
More than 15 posts

Postby vpainter » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:42 pm

vpainter

Return to New Hires and Jobs - Working for Saudi Aramco